Drama Review: A Gentleman’s Dignity (2012)
Genre: Romance, comedy
Broadcast Network: SBS
Broadcast Period: May 26 2012 to August 12 2012
Air Time: Saturday and Sunday 21:50
Country: South Korea
A drama about the careers and love lives of urban professionals. It will tell the story of four men in their forties as they go through love, breakup, success and failure.
Kim Do Jin, an architect with a scathing tongue has romantic relationship with strict high school teacher Seo Yi Soo, who moonlights as an umpire at amateur baseball games. Im Tae San is dating a cold-hearted woman but wonders if there is someone else out there for him. Choi Yoon tries to heal his heart after losing his wife four years ago. Lee Jung Rok marries an older woman for money but may lose his comfortable lifestyle in a divorce.
Jang Dong Gun as Kim Do Jin
Kim Ha Neul as Seo Yi Soo
Kim Su-Ro as Im Tae San
Kim Min Jun as Choi Yoon
Lee Jong Hyuk as Lee Jung Rok
Yoon Se Ah as Hong Se Ra
Kim Jeong Nan as Park Min Sook
Yoon Jin Yi as Im Meari
Lee Jong Hyun as Colin
This was an AWESOME drama! I have to say I didn't expect much from it when I started it but it hooks you in because of every episode's humor and wittiness. You would never think the life of 4 middle age men would be so entertaining. The main reasons that I started watching this drama because of Kim Su-Ro, he is one of the variety kings in Korea. I watched varieties like Family Outing and Running Man with him in it and he just makes you laugh! This drama has many cameos by Korean Idols and they placed in very well. Although I started watching it because he was in it, I ended loving all the characters because they could all stand alone and still be awesome! It also received high ratings on AGB Nielsen, placing second many times against Gag Concert. Not only by ratings did they do well but also it also received many awards.
- 2012 SBS Drama Awards
- Top Excellence Award for Weekend/Serial Drama, Actor (Jang Dong Gun)
- Top Excellence Award for Weekend/Serial Drama, Actress (Kim Ha Neul)
- Excellence Award for Weekend/Serial Drama, Actor (Kim Soo Ro)
- Special Acting Award for Weekend/Serial Drama, Actor (Kim Min Jong)
- Special Acting Award for Weekend/Serial Drama, Actor(Lee Jong Hyuk)
- Special Acting Award for Weekend/Serial Drama, Actress (Kim Jung Nan)
- Top 10 Stars Award (Jang Dong Gun)
- Top 10 Stars Award (Kim Ha Neul)
- Viewer Popularity Award (Kim Ha Neul)
- Lifetime Achievement Award (Kim Eun Sook)
- Best Couple Award (Kim Min Jong and Yoon Jin Yi)
- New Star Award (Yoon Jin Yi)
- New Star Award (Lee Jong Hyun)
- 2012 Grime Awards
- Best New Cinematographer (Hwang Min Shik)
- 2012 1st K-Drama Star Awards
- 2012 5th Korea Drama Awards
- Best New Actress (Yoon Jin Yi)
Every episode starts off with a humorous mini skit of what Kim DoJin, Im TaeSun, Choi Yoon and Lee JungRok did in the past. In the end the skits all help build the story line.
|Episode 1 - Opening Scene|
The relationship between the main characters is interesting and sweet at the same time. Kim Do Jin (Jang Dong Gun) and Seo Yi Soo (Kim Ha Neul) have met in the past by coincidence but do not remember until the relationship starts.
They are known to have the famous window kiss scene <-- Although cheesy or weird to some, it is a very memorable scene from episode 10.
|Episode 10 - Window Kiss|
Although YiSoo and DoJin are the main lead, i have to say all the characters are mains because of all the memorable moments they have~
Here are the 4 couples formed in the drama:
|Main Lead - Seo YiSoo and Kim DoJin|
|Choi Yoon and Im Meari|
|Im TaeSun and Yoon SeAh|
|Lee Jong Ruk and Park Min Sook|
Lee Jong Ruk a big time player that decides to marry Park Min Sook because of her wealth. Jong Ruk is uneasy when Min Sook mentions about divorce.
~ Here is a trailer of the drama ~